8 Tips for Starting a Fitness Program
Body Form Fitness believes that any time is a good time for starting a fitness program and creating good habits to carry you throughout the year.
Below are 8 tips for starting a fitness program:
- Take advantage of the weather, no matter the season. Fall is a great time to exercise outdoors and enjoy the cool crisp air and scenery. Take a brisk walk, or rake some leaves. Winter brings the opportunity to try out new sports, like skiing, skating or snowshoeing. During the Spring and Summer, go for walks on the beach, swim, play frisbee with your dog or try kayaking.
- The weather is always perfect for working out and getting in shape at the gym. Body Form Fitness offers one-on-one personal training, in a semi-private environment. Your trainer ensures that your breathing, form and posture are correct, minimizing the risk of injury while maximizing your results.
- Integrate exercise into your life. Park farther away from your destination, take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk around the field while watching your kid’s soccer game, do push-ups while watching TV. Listen to some inspirational music or a motivational book on your ipod while you exercise for 30 minutes.
- Reward yourself. After working out, treat yourself to other activities that promote wellness: a massage, meditation, healthy eating. It’s important to feel good physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
- Commit to the first 30 days. It takes about 4 weeks for the body to adapt to lifestyle changes. Once you develop new behaviours, it’s easier to stick with the fitness program.
- Stick to the 3 C’s:
Commitment: Plan to exercise. Add it to your calendar. Make no excuses.
Convenience: Choose a local gym. Workout at home. Choose a time that you will not be interrupted.
Consistency: Better to work out for 10 mins each day, than 1 hour per month. Consistency leads to good habits.
- Find your motivation.
Determine your why: Whether it’s weight / strength training, improving your core strength, functional development, or preparing for a race or event, you need to have a goal.
Choose a workout you will enjoy: Walking or hiking with a friend or working with a personal trainer… If you enjoy it, you’ll do it consistently.
Create a Challenge / Be accountable: Decide on a motivating and measurable goal, set a deadline and be accountable. Work with a personal trainer for training and conditioning services based on your personal goals.
- When you get discouraged or distracted, remember your why, visualize your end goal and how you will feel once you achieve it.
Starting a Fitness Program?
Body Form Fitness is a small studio gym in Scarborough that exclusively offers one-on-one personal training in a semi-private environment. Serving clients in Scarborough, Toronto, Mississauga, Pickering, Ajax and Markham, we build you a customized fitness/exercise program based on your needs and let our personal trainers guide you through your program in 30-minute sessions.
Kick-start your fitness regime today by booking your complementary consultation!
Together, we can make it happen!