Make Recovery as Important as Your Workout
After working out, do you feel tired, sore and hungry? These are symptoms that exercise has depleted the muscle’s fuel resources, causing some minor damage, and that the muscle requires replenishment and repair. This is why it is crucial to make your recovery as important as your workout.
9 Key Elements for Recovery:
- Don’t overdue your workout – It’s okay to push yourself, but not to the point of injury. A personal trainer can help you to prevent injury while achieving your goals.
- Stretch – Stretching is a great way to relieve muscular tension and potentially reduce the soreness you experience post-workout.
- Rest – Give your muscles and systems time off so you don’t over work them. Active recovery or light movement such as a short walk, yoga, an easy bike ride or throwing a frizbee are encouraged.
- Sleep – Allow your body to put it’s recovery process into action.
- Hydration – Drink water before, during and after exercise to replace water loss and avoid cramps or feeling tired due to dehydration.
- Eat Immediately After Workout – High quality, lean proteins will prevent your body from using its own muscle tissue for energy and help kickstart muscle repair, recovery, and growth. A post-workout meal high in complex carbohydrates is required to refill muscle carbohydrate/energy stores. It is essential that you consume your post-workout meal immediately after exercise, when muscles are primed for nutrient uptake.
- Anti-Inflammatory Foods – These foods (ie. Omega 3 Fatty Acids) reduce post-exercise inflammation allows you to get back to your workout faster.
- Nutritional Supplementation – Potassium and other important minerals can be sapped during an intense workout session. Vitamins, liquid nutrition and whole foods; talk to your personal trainer about the best options for you.
- Reduce Stress – Too much stress can drastically protract your recovery time between workouts.
If you want to come back stronger for your next workout, you need time for repair and recovery from your previous workout.
Body Form Fitness is a small studio gym in Scarborough that exclusively offers one-on-one personal training in a semi-private environment. Serving clients in Scarborough, Toronto, Mississauga, Pickering, Ajax and Markham, we build you a customized fitness/exercise program based on your needs and let our personal trainers guide you through your program in 30-minute sessions.
Kick-start your fitness regime today by booking your complementary consultation!
Together, we can make it happen!