Easy Guacamole – Healthy Snack as a Spread or Dip.
A wide range of nutrients in avocado has been associated with cardiovascular benefits. Included in this list would be:
- Avocado fats, which include very large amounts of the monounsaturated fatty acid, oleic acid, as well as the unusual phytosterols, including beta-sitosterol, campesterol, and stigmasterol;
- The antioxidant nutrients in avocado, including carotenoids like chrysanthemaxanthin, neoxanthin, and lutein as well as vitamin E and vitamin C;
- Anti-inflammatory components of avocado, including the carotenoids and phytosterols listed above as well as catechins and procyanidins (two families of flavonoids). 1
The addition of avocado to already well-balanced diets has been shown to lower risk of heart disease, improve blood levels of LDL, and lower levels of oxidative stress in the bloodstream following consumption of food. ~ whfoods.com
Easy Guacamole Recipe
Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 3 Medium ripe avocado (soft to the touch)
- 1 Tomato or red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Lemon or Lime juice
- Optional Salt and Pepper
- Cut avacado in half (large pit inside) and scoop out soft flesh. See video above.
- Mash flesh with fork.
- Add other ingredients.
Spread guacamole on morning toast or use as a dip with vegetables. Store in fridge.